Sunday, June 6, 2010

Hallwalls Exhibition -- "Preparing to Lose"

Last year, I created a book of drawings called "Preparing to Lose". Since the book felt inadequate for the shape and scale of the space at the Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center in Buffalo, NY, I decided to see what would happen if I reproduced them in larger scale so that they could be "framed" and "hung" individually. This process immediately seemed to cheat and cheapen the process as they quickly became "pictures" rather than places that I was willing to believe. It seemed that my only choices were to keep them in the book--at actual scale--or to blow them up to larger-than-life translations. The remaining drawings from the book, then, could be reproduced at actual scale and installed in cinematic sequence.

















1 comment:

  1. I MISS YOU, HEATHER!!! I think the way you displayed them at the gallery was perfect! The scale gave them so much meaning and made the paintings feel more like people to relate to rather than just drawings. The "film strip" gave them some movement as well. Loved it and love you!

    ReplyDelete